Monday, September 5, 2016

Baked Zucchini Mini Muffin Meatballs


I HATE to roll meatballs! So I decided to try and make meat "balls" in a silicone mini muffin pan instead.
 It was not as easy as I hoped it would be, but it did save me from the dreaded" rolling of the balls"!
My 7 year old usually won't touch zucchini, but he gobbled these up!

Baked Zucchini Mini Muffin Meatballs
1-1 1/2 lb ground meat *
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup zucchini, shredded, drained and packed
1/4 onion or 2 shallots finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Cook onions in fat on stove top until translucent. Lightly salt them to draw out the moisture.
In a bowl combine the rest of the ingredients. Add onions when they are ready.
*if you are using ground turkey you may want to add a tablespoon of olive oil to the mix.
Combine and place in a mini muffin pan.
I have a round tablespoon that ended up being the perfect scoop.

Cook for 20-25 minutes.
I used ground beef and the grease was starting to go over the edge of the pan so I ended up placing a large cookie sheet on the lower rack to catch the grease.

Makes 48 mini meatballs

Adapted from a recipe on Prevention RD



No comments:

Post a Comment